In celebration of Grandparents Day on September 11, Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) has revealed the top five reasons cruise vacations are the best option for multigenerational families looking to travel together. According to The Family Travel Alliance, the demand for family-friendly travel is one of the fastest-growing segments in the tourism industry and is responsible for more than one-third of all leisure vacations. From providing unmatchable return on experience to unforgettable memories for the whole family, cruising is a perfect fit for grandparents planning a family vacation.
“Cruise vacations offer a unique option for family members of all ages, from toddlers to grandparents, and a chance to celebrate family milestones and create memories,” said Cindy D’Aoust, president and CEO, CLIA. “Families can explore amazing destinations, choose perfect amenities and activities for each family member, all in a stress free and fun travel environment.”
Top Five Reasons Multigenerational Families Should Cruise Together:
- Amenities for All Ages: There is no shortage of amenities and activities onboard a cruise ship to suit every preference and age group. Grandparents who enjoy adventure can try a surf simulator or indoor sky diving with their families or, to keep things more relaxed, families can take scenic tours of historic landmarks. Cruises also offer children’s programs, teen clubs, and organized, supervised activities, including karaoke, cooking lessons, scavenger hunts or dance contests.
- Flexible Travel: A cruise vacation offers a low-stress and flexible vacation option for grandparents traveling with their families, especially with the help of a travel agent. Families can choose a ship best suited to their travel companions and also choose to do as little or as many activities as they like. Grandchildren and younger travelers can even get involved in the planning process by helping select a destination or particular excursion for the whole family.
- Independent Exploration: Cruises provide families a unique opportunity to stay together but also do things independently. For example, family members can explore on their own during the day and come together for a family meal in the evening.
- Best Return on Experience: Cruising allows travelers to combine transportation, lodging, dining and entertainment all into one package—perfect for a family traveling together and looking for a stress-free planning experience. A travel agent can also help cruisers find the best options and offerings for large travel groups.
- Sharing the World: Cruising offers a chance for grandparents to bond with their families by sharing the joy of traveling and beauty of the world. A cruise vacation allows family members of all ages to explore new destinations, taste new cuisines and immerse themselves in new cultures while creating memories that will last a lifetime.
“Whether your family is looking to spend time together, independently or a combination of both, cruise travel offers guests the chance to connect while seeing the world and partaking in once-in-a-lifetime experiences,” D’Aoust continued. “Cruising presents unlimited options to ensure that each member of the family gets the vacation they desire.”
About Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) – One Industry, One Voice
Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is the world’s largest cruise industry trade association, providing a unified voice and leading authority of the global cruise community. The association has 15 offices globally with representation in North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. CLIA supports policies and practices that foster a safe, secure, healthy and sustainable cruise ship environment for the more than 23 million passengers who cruise annually and is dedicated to promote the cruise travel experience. Members are comprised of the world's most prestigious ocean, river and specialty cruise lines; a highly trained and certified travel agent community; and cruise line suppliers and partners, including ports & destinations, ship development, suppliers and business services. The organization’s mission is to be the unified global organization that helps its members succeed by advocating, educating and promoting for the common interests of the cruise community. For more information, visit www.cruising.org or follow Cruise Lines International Association on CLIA Facebook and Twitter pages.