It is the final week of Plan a Cruise Month and Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the unified voice and leading authority of the global cruise community, is shining a spotlight on cruise travel throughout Asia. From diverse destinations to off-the-beaten-path adventures, CLIA is helping those with wanderlust navigate cruise travel options throughout Asia – the fastest growing cruise region in the world.
“Asia has seen the largest influx of cruise travelers over the past few years, and it isn’t difficult to see why – with Asia’s distinct cultural experiences and breathtaking destinations,” said Cindy D’Aoust, president and CEO, CLIA. “Cruise itineraries throughout Asia are captivating travelers ranging from those simply looking for an exotic, unique destination, to those wanting to fulfill a bucket-list vacation of a lifetime.”
Highlights of Cruising through Asia
Diverse Destinations: Travelers can visit popular sites and find secret treasures while cruising through Asia.
- Isle of Pines: This little populated island boasts sacred rocks and totems around the island and a bay filled with sea turtles and exotic marine life. The island’s small beaches are home to soft sand and crystal-clear water, perfect for relaxing or hiking along the shore.
- Sihanoukville, Cambodia: The only deep-water port in the country, Sihanoukville offers an authentic Cambodian experience. Interactions with locals and private beaches make this pocket of the world a unique stop.
- Bangkok, Thailand: One of Southeast Asia’s most developed nations, Thailand is considered very tourist-friendly. Bangkok is filled with sacred Buddha statues and temples and “spirit houses;” and features canals full of floating markets selling everything from tapestries to jewels.
- Singapore, Asia: Considered an oasis in Southeast Asia, Singapore boasts a low crime rate, a superbly clean metropolis, and a sophisticated city infrastructure. Featuring a mix of cultures, Singapore is home to many tourist attractions like Orchard Road, the colonial district and Sentosa.
- Mystery Island, Vanuatu: This South Pacific isle, off the southern tip of the Vanuatu archipelago, is surrounded by perfect beaches and colorful coral reefs offering an intimate beach experience.
Off-the-Beaten-Path Adventures: Asia is home to a variety of unique experiences and activities for everyone from adventure-seekers to literature lovers.
- Thai Cuisine: Foodies and would-be chefs alike can enjoy cooking lessons at one of Thailand’s top-rated cooking schools, The Blue Elephant, complete with a trip to the fresh market and lessons in Thai flavor profiles.
- Malaysian Batik Making: In Malaysia, cruisers can learn how to create authentic Malaysian batik, freestyle, handmade silk-screening and tie-dying. Travelers can make their own batik pieces, learning the art from local experts.
- One-on-One with Orangutans: Animal lovers can enjoy an afternoon at the Semenggoh Wildlife Center, a sanctuary for orphaned orangutans and other injured or abandoned animals in the process of being rehabilitated. Travelers will learn more about the sanctuary’s animal inhabitants and get a personal experience with these primates.
- Overnight in Temples at Bagan: Travelers interested in ancient culture can take part in the unique overnight tours in the temples at Bagan, a profusion of sacred temples complete with panoramic views and ancient architecture.
- Sea Caves in Phuket: For adventure-seekers, Phuket’s Phang Nga Bay National Park is home to a sea cave tour where travelers board a three-person Sea Explorer canoe to visit local lagoons and sea caves only accessible by water.
While planning a vacation to any country or region with vast cultural differences may seem intimidating, a few tips and tricks can help ensure that travel adventures remain hassle-free. When cruising the Asian waters, CLIA recommends enlisting an expert on Asia to navigate the details, keeping culture etiquette in mind and discussing dining desires or restrictions in advance when booking a trip.
CLIA Travel Tips when Cruising Asia
- Enlist an Asia Expert: Travelers can enlist the help of a cruise-certified travel agent specifically knowledgeable about Asia in order to create a tailored cruise vacation based on personal preferences, travel style, and must-dos.
- Keep the Culture: Asian culture and customs may differ greatly from what travelers are accustomed to at home. Cruisers can purchase guidebooks or download apps to familiarize themselves with what to do, and what not to do, visiting Asian destinations. Travel agents can also offer cultural tips as well.
- Dine Deliciously: Whether planning to hit the buffet or spend time in onboard cafes, travelers can ensure their dietary needs—be it gluten-free, vegan, or low carb—are met by discussing requirements upfront with a travel agent or ship staff.
More about Plan a Cruise Month:
October is Plan a Cruise Month – a worldwide movement to learn more about cruising and how to plan and take a cruise vacation. The campaign, created by Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the unified voice and leading authority of the global cruise community, offers insight on the best cruise destinations, special cruise line deals and promotions as well as experts to help navigate the many cruise vacation options available for every travel style and budget. Travelers can find a CLIA-certified cruise specialist at https://www.cruising.org/cruise-vacationer/cruise-travel-guide/clia-agent-finder. To learn more about Plan A Cruise Month and access the electronic press kit that includes an infographic about today’s release, please visit: http://cruising.new-media-release.com/index.html.
About Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) – One Industry, One Voice
Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) is the world’s largest cruise industry trade association, providing a unified voice and leading authority of the global cruise community. The association has 15 offices globally with representation in North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australasia. CLIA supports policies and practices that foster a safe, secure, healthy and sustainable cruise ship environment for the more than 24 million passengers who cruise annually and is dedicated to promote the cruise travel experience. Members are comprised of the world's most prestigious ocean, river and specialty cruise lines; a highly trained and certified travel agent community; and cruise line suppliers and partners, including ports & destinations, ship development, suppliers and business services. The organization’s mission is to be the unified global organization that helps its members succeed by advocating, educating and promoting for the common interests of the cruise community. For more information, visit www.cruising.org or follow Cruise Lines International Association on CLIA Facebook and Twitter pages.