Passport Information

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Passport Requirements

The cruise industry encourages all travelers to prepare for changes regarding travel within the Western Hemisphere. The Department of Homeland Security and Department of State issued the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative which will require all U.S. citizens to have a passport or other accepted travel document when entering or re-entering the United States from any part of the Western Hemisphere (Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Central and South America and the Caribbean).

The current deadlines are:

AIR: All U.S. citizens including children must present a passport or other approved travel document when entering the United States by air. U.S. citizens can present a passport, NEXUS card at airports with NEXUS kiosks, U.S. military ID with travel orders, or a U.S. Merchant Mariner Document when on official business.

LAND and SEA: U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license. See the complete list of WHTI-compliant documents.

The Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) supports the Department of Homeland Security’s intent to ease travel document requirements for children.

For the lates information about requirements visit the Department of Homeland Security.

For more information on how to apply for or renew a passport, please visit